João Carlos Photo
Photographing Fashion, Beauty, Advertising, Portrait
My name is Joao Carlos and I’m a Fuji X photographer. I’ve been a visual story teller for over two decades.
I envision my photography as an opportunity to create inspiring pieces of artwork to go beyond the conventionality of fashion and commercial photography and to take that to a lasting fine art level. Recently I have found a lot off pleasure photographing motorcycles and horses besides the regular model shoots.
Do you have a good tip?
If you find yourself undecided to what area of photography to specialize in, maybe because you work in a smaller market or have allot of passions, you should still try and focus on one style or genre, this does not mean you can’t photograph different subjects matters, just focus your marketing to the one you like the most? Not so much. What brings you more money but what brings you more joy?
Recently I had a shoot with a major International watch brand, but the concept was gentleman driver who had a mirrored helmet. Everything was super reflective.
I did my homework and did a very thorough location scouting to choose the perfect light for each look, I also shot in the shade and used a long lens with a 1.5 extension tube to really have nice compression and bokeh effect . This also helped me keep my distance so my self and the team wouldn’t not be reflective or to at least minimize it. I also used a polarizer lens to limit any other reflections.
What’s in your bag?
Well I have a lot of bags. It really all depends on the project, but I guess my regular kit is the following:
- I must start with the bag itself. I use Think-Tank Photo Naked shape shifter. Inside I have Pro Speed BELT and speed changer and lens changer cases. I like to have all my gear around my waist and on the go, a habit I picked up from my photojournalist days.
- I shoot most gigs with Fuji Film GFX 50s and GFX 100.
- I only have two lenses 32-64 and 120 Macro lens
- I have about 2TB worth of Sandisk sd cards and of course I use BlackRapid Curve Breathe strap
- I have used many BlackRapid Straps over the years, they are super durable and comfortable, because of there unique design they take the strain away from my neck and shoulders. When you shoot medium format like my self, it makes a huge differences at the end of the day.
Leave a Reply